Members of the Georgia State University faculty who are making significant contributions to research, scholarship, innovations in teaching and learning, and service to the university were recognized May 8, 2018 during the annual Celebrating Faculty Excellence event, held at Georgia State Stadium.
Faculty who also received promotion or attained tenure were recognized.
“Faculty are at the heart of the university,” said Georgia State President Mark Becker. “Because of the work you do here, our future is incredibly bright.”
Risa Palm, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, presented awards to the following faculty members or their designates:
To view descriptions of the awards and their criteria, in addition to past award winners, please visit https://faculty.gsu.edu/for-continuing-faculty/.
- Guantao Chen, Chair, Department of Mathematics & Statistics, College of Arts & Sciences
- Richard Wright, Chair, Criminal Justice & Criminology, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies
Distinguished University Professorships
- Didier Merlin, Institute for Biomedical Sciences
- Leslie Wolf, Professor, College of Law
- Eric Wright, Chair, Department of Sociology and Professor in the School of Public Health (Second Century Initiative)
- Lynée Gaillet, Department of English
- Andrey Shilnikov, Neuroscience Institute
- Deanna Joseph, Associate Director of Music, Director of Choral Activities School of Music in the College of the Arts, Alumni Distinguished Professor
- Beth Gylys, Professor of English and Creative Writing, Department of English, Instructional Effectiveness Award
- Melissa McLeod, Senior Lecturer, Department of English, Instructional Effectiveness Award
- Veda Storey, Tull Professor of Computer Information Systems, Department of Computer Information Systems, Instructional Innovation Award
- Jessica Turner, Associate Professor (Second Century Initiative), Department of Psychology, Outstanding Faculty Achievement Award
Faculty members receiving promotion and tenure were also recognized during the evening’s events. The president noted the rigorous process for promotion and tenure.
“One of the most important things that faculty members may take on at a university includes being part of decisions about hiring, promotion and tenure,” Becker said. “If we get these decisions right, we have a great university.”
For more about faculty affairs, awards, policies and development opportunities, visit http://faculty.gsu.edu.
Manager of Marketing & PR for the Associate Provost for Strategic Initiatives and Innovation
Office of the Provost