From Provost Wendy Hensel:
The Commission for the Next Generation of Faculty has completed its report and issued recommendations on ways in which Georgia State can improve its recruitment, engagement and retention of a diverse faculty. A key recommendation of the commission was to establish a steering committee to guide the implementation of the commission’s recommendations and facilitate the university’s progress on diversity and inclusion.
Toward this end, I solicited nominations of faculty to serve on the Implementation Steering Committee. This committee will provide advice, guidance and feedback to university leadership on how best to implement the commission’s recommendations.
We received an enthusiastic response to the call for nominations from across the university community. I was impressed and inspired by the number of faculty who are committed to diversity and equity in many forms and are doing important work in this area.
In making the committee selections, I personally read through each submission. In consultation with key colleagues, I selected the inaugural members of the committee to reflect the broadest possible representation across colleges, backgrounds, faculty status and interests.
The inaugural members of the Implementation Steering Committee are:
- Collins Airhihenbuwa, Professor, School of Public Health
- Kimberly Bennekin, Professor, Perimeter College
- Susan-Sojourna Collier, Lecturer, College of the Arts
- Dean Dabney, Department Chair and Professor, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies
- Cirleen DeBlaere, Associate Professor, College of Education and Human Development
- Tonia Durden, Clinical Associate Professor, College of Education and Human Development, and member of the Senate Cultural Diversity Committee
- Kyle Frantz, Professor, College of Arts & Sciences, and Director of the Center for the Advancement of Students and Alumni
- Harry Heiman, Clinical Associate Professor, School of Public Health
- John King, Interim Associate Chair, Mathematics, Perimeter College
- Alexis Martinez, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, College of Law
- Kellie Mayfield, Assistant Professor, Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Sara Rosen, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- Jessica Waldrop, Clinical Associate Professor, J. Mack Robinson College of Business
I have asked Sara Rosen, the former chair of the Commission for the Next Generation of Faculty, to chair the Implementation Steering Committee. Each member will serve for an initial one-, two- or three-year term as we build in a staggered rotation of members. We will have additional calls for nominations in future years as these individuals move off the committee.
I ask everyone in the university community to provide input and feedback as we move forward with the implementation of the commission’s recommendations. The individuals who serve on this committee are your liaisons and will ensure your voices are heard throughout the planning process. We have important work ahead of us, and I am confident our sustained efforts will help Georgia State become a national leader in equity and inclusion.
To read the commission’s report, watch a video presentation about the university’s next steps or provide feedback on the initiatives, visit https://provost.gsu.edu/commission-report/.
Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs