What Is A Provost?
The Provost, the chief academic officer of the university, reports directly to the President.
At Georgia State, the Provost:
- oversees the development and implementation of the university’s academic programs and policies
- supervises the university’s deans and associate provosts
Additionally, the Provost directs activities in the recruitment, hiring, retention and promotion processes for faculty positions.
In conjunction with the senior administration of the university, the Provost develops and manages the portion of the university budget allocated to academic programs and functions.
The Provost also represents the university to system-level bodies such as the Regents Advisory Committee on Academic Affairs, and to other academic affairs interest groups in organizations to which the university belongs such as the Association of Public and Land Grant Universities and the American Council on Education.
Past Provosts and Executives for Academic Affairs
The role of the university provost has existed at Georgia State for many years, though the specific title of this role changed through the decades. The following is a list of individuals who have filled this Academic Affairs leadership role since the Board of Regents elevated Georgia State to the official status of a university in 1969.
- William M. Suttles (-1970)–Vice President for Academic Affairs
- William M. Suttles (1970-89)–Executive Vice-President & Provost
- Eli A. Zubay (1971-81)–Vice-President for Academic Affairs
- Harold E. Davis (1981-82)–Interim Vice-President for Academic Affairs
- Thomas B. Brewer (1982-88)–Vice-President for Academic Affairs
- Frederick A. Massey (1988-90)–Acting Vice-President for Academic Affairs
- Thomas J. La Belle (1990-92)–Provost & Vice-President for Academic Affairs
- Cleon C. Arrington (1992-94)–Acting Provost & Vice-President for Academic Affairs
- Ronald J. Henry (1994-2009)–Provost & Vice-President for Academic Affairs
- Risa Palm (2009-2019)–Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Wendy Hensel (2019-2021)–Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Nicolle Parsons-Pollard (2022-present)–Interim Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Source: Georgia State University Archives, University Library